Puckman rpihockey.net

What's New

Game Pictures
ECAC Standings
Odds & Ends

Contact Me

Engineers Settle for Tie

By Ed Weaver

Troy Record, January 20, 2002

TROY - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's return to the win column was a one-night stand.

The Engineers surrendered the lead in the third period Saturday night, nearly put in what would have been a game-winner several times in overtime and had to settle for a 2-2 non-conference tie with Bowling Green.

The Engineers peppered the Bowling Green net for the final one and a half minutes of overtime.

Marc Cavosie shot wide on a pretty feed from Carson Butterwick. Matt Murley's short back-hander hit a skate and Falcons goalie Tyler Masters stopped a close-range chip shot by Steve Munn.

Butterwick flipped a shot off Master's pads as the Engineers' furious bid for sudden victory came up short.

Cavosie and Butterwick scored for RPI, now 8-9-3, and Murley assisted on both goals.

For the second time in two nights, the Engineers had an apparent goal disallowed. Unlike Friday night, when Andrew McPherson had shot the puck on a high-stick violation during a 3-0 victory, the 'no goal' call cost the Engineers big on Saturday night.

Murley's shot at 6:30 of the second period drove starting goaltender Jordan Sigalet and a Falcons defenseman deep into the net - clearly over the goal line. A couple seconds passed, the whistle blew and Sigalet raised his glove, revealing the puck under it - at least 12 inches beyond the goal line.

Referee Alex Dell said no.

"They said we were in the crease before," Murley said.


"Yeah, before it went in."

"Quite frankly, I don't think he saw it," RPI coach Dan Fridgen said. "He was kind of scrambling for an answer and the one he gave me was that there was someone in the crease. But (if so), he was pushed there and again, I thought that he just lost it. But hey, listen, they make the calls and you live with it and you stick with it."

"I knew we were going to be in trouble when he didn't call it (a goal) right away."

In Dell's defense, the goal judge never did turn on the red light, so he really couldn't rule a goal so much later, even though the puck had gone into the net well before his whistle sounded.

On Bowling Green's tying goal, scored by Ryan Wetterberg at 1:42 of the third period, a miscommunication between two Engineers led to a breakaway.

Neither defenseman Matt McNeely nor winger Ben Barr played a sideboard pass that ended up behind them near the RPI blue line.

"Our defenseman didn't react to it," Fridgen said. "I'm not even sure he saw it. (Or) I think it was a communication thing."

Wetterberg swooped in, grabbed the puck, streaked down left wing and soared in on Marsters, beating him high on the glove side.

The Engineers killed the Falcons' spirited power play from 14:40 to 16:40 of the final period, as BG kept the puck in the RPI end for about 1:20. A sprawled Nathan Marsters reached out an arm to deny Scott Hewson at the goalmouth and made two other high-quality saves.

Seconds after the penalty expired, Masters stopped Cavosie on a clear breakaway.

Cavosie, who regained the ECAC scoring lead this week and who now has 29 points (12-17-29), was asked which shot he'd like to have back, the breakaway late in regulation, or the perfect setup from Butterwick in OT.

"Probably the feed," he said. "I just missed the net. (Missing) chances like that, you kill yourself."

Fridgen said the Engineers "played well, but in the third period we had real good opportunities to close them out and just didn't get it done. Just inches and a couple bounces from getting a win instead of a tie."

Butterwick rifled home a rebound for a 2-1 RPI lead at 9:02 of the second period.

The Engineers were blanked the rest of the way, though.