Puckman rpihockey.net

What's New

Game Pictures
ECAC Standings
Odds & Ends

Contact Me

Friday's Cloud Has Silver Lining

RPI Bounces Back to Claim Second Game Against St. Cloud St., 3-1

Troy Record, November 3, 2002

ST. CLOUD, Minn. - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute dug deep Saturday night, and came up with a big victory.

One night after absorbing a 3-0 loss to St. Cloud State, the Engineers played a solid game in all zones and whipped the Huskies, 3-1.

The Engineers, who killed all eight St. Cloud power plays, improved to 4-4-0 overall. They had dropped three straight games against teams from established Division I conferences.

And they won Saturday night with some adversity.

Defenseman and team captain Danny Eberly was injured midway through the second period and did not return.

Eberly took an elbow to the face from St. Cloud's Jeff Finger and was shaken, but should be fine for next weekend.

"This is a very big road win for us," said Rensselaer coach Dan Fridgen. "Especially in this building (National Hockey Center). This is a very tough place for (visiting) teams to win. It's real nice to go into the conference season off a win like this."

The Engineers open ECAC play next week against Clarkson and St. Lawrence at Houston Field House.

Carson Butterwick, a 13-goal scorer last season, scored his first goal of the season, giving the Engineers a 2-1 lead on a power play goal at 10:46 of the second period.

Ben Barr scored the first RPI goal and freshman Keith MCWilliams tallied his first collegiate goal on a 5-on-3 power play midway through the final period.

Freshman defenseman Brad Farynuk assisted on the second and third goals for the Engineers.

Nathan Marsters returned to the RPI nets and posted his first win of the season - and 30th of his career - stopping 40 of 41 St. Cloud shots.

Fridgen said the difference between RPI's loss on Friday night and Saturday's victory "was not rocket science."

"I told them (RPI players) that for us to win, we needed to take care of the process that reveals victory: blocking shots, getting the puck to the net, fighting through checks, holding their forecheckers off our (defensemen)," Fridgen said.

"Things we didn't do (Friday) night," Fridgen added.

St. Cloud (3-2-1), ranked No. 14 nationally, took a 1-0 lead at 15:54 of the first period when Marsters pushed a rebound right out to Jonathan Lehun, who beat him with a high shot. Marsters shut down the Huskies the rest of the way.